Saturday, April 5, 2014

Personal Presentations - What to do, not do, and what you need to start doing

To everyone who presented this week:

You were awesome. The preparation was great, you were timely, and you made really good points. Here are a couple ideas I had for you to do:

Keep:

  • Prepare: It makes a huge difference when you have all visuals planned, your talking points written out, and it's been rehearsed. Everyone did a really good job at that, I could tell.
  • Acronyms/lists: Pretty much everyone had one, and for good reason. They work, and they keep the subject easy for the audience to digest.
Stop:
  • One-way conversation: Make sure your presentation is two-sided. Asking questions and getting to know the people you're presenting to makes a huge difference in the relevancy of your content. Maybe ask yourself, "Did I ask any questions? Who did I present to? How was this relevant to them?" at the end of your presentations to make sure you did some sort of interacting with them.
Start:
  • On-the-spot innovation: It was really cool to see the presenters make quick changes to their presentations after getting feedback to streamline their presentations. Jake started wearing a watch, Seth kept his photos on his presentation, and Kim even added in a whole exercise at the end of her presentation to get her audience more involved. If you left feeling like you wished you'd implemented more ideas you had, just do it next time!
All in all, the presentations were great. I'm scared but excited to do mine.

-Coleman

PS thanks to Seth and Taylor for coming out to my band's show this weekend! They were a vital part of the energetic crowd, starting and maintaining the dancing and moshing throughout. Seth even shredded some drums with me. Here's a pic of the crowd, pretty sure you can see them on the right side,  ladies all around them (get it ladies):




1 comment:

  1. Hey. You're the man. That's all there is to it. I like this list of things to keep, stop and start. But more importantly, you shred. Ya I bought a shirt after the show. Red Yeti groupy? Put it on my resume.

    ReplyDelete