Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Go React Blog Post

Wow. Go React is so freakin' cool. Watching myself and my group present live, with comments was invaluable. I learned some things I should keep doing, stop and start doing. 

First off, things I did well:

  • When presenting the statistic about UTA's pricing, Cameron said, "Great way to illustrate the problem," when I had two volunteers stand up. Sweet.
  • Professor Middleton said that I had a, "clear suggestion for [a] solution," during my part of the recommendations section. Also sweet.
  • The GANTT chart. Seth Chatterly was like, "GANTT chart. Well played. Professor Middleton is going to love that." I hope she did, but mostly I'm just happy people could read it and that it made sense in the context.

Secondly, things I needed to better that I didn't see coming:

  • From Nathan Harbison: "iron your shirt before a presentation, a wrinkled shirt is distracting."
  • From Prof. Middleton: "Coleman- short-sleeves are not typically considered business professional (acceptable when under a suit jacket. Okay in the office, but not when in mtgs. etc.)" Good to know.
  • From Felicia Bunting: "so far coleman has answered 2 questions without letting the girls answer. are all knowledgable?" I think this points out that I need to be more trusting of team members. They do know tons even if I'm worried that they don't. 

Lastly, what I'm going to do about it: 

  1. Dress better. I think the time has come for me to iron my shirts. Yes, I know how, I've done it before. I just... get lazy. But it really makes all the difference. And yes, no more short sleeves on presentation days.
  2. Trust. I need to remember that my team researched all the things that I did, and they are just as competent to answer the questions that I am. 
  3. Show clear solutions to problems. It's too easy to blabber on without making a connection with what you're talking about to a real issue. 
Overall, it was an awesome experience. It was inspiring to be able to read other peoples' comments and learn from them. What a cool experience.

-Coleman


Other notes:
Not to be narcissistic, but my mullet was (is) pretty sweet, I'm stoked on it

No comments:

Post a Comment