Saturday, February 1, 2014

I USED THINGS I LEARNED IN CLASS THIS WEEK!

So, I work doing social media publishing at a PR and marketing company. It's great because I have to write things all the time, so I get to use my writing skills that I learn in class at work! I get paid to apply my homework to real life! So cool.

Well this week at work, I was writing some posts that needed lists. I KNEW TO USE A COLON AND NOT A SEMI-COLON! It was so satisfying typing the colon followed by the list, separated by commas  (except the last word however, because we use AP style, NOT Chicago style). Also, later in the week, I was considering using a semi-colon, but luckily, I caught myself. The first clause of the sentence was an independent clause; the second was a dependent clause. I could have looked like a fool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi23Cz4EW1o

^Enjoy.

-Coleman



4 comments:

  1. Ha that is great that you get to use grammar at work. Grammar can be so confusing. It is hard to break bad habits that we have picked up throughout our years of schooling. We write all of the time and never have known some basic grammar rules. I hope I don't forget what I have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been a disaster had you used that semicolon! That's tight that you do social media publishing. I'm sure it will help you a lot in keeping the things we've learned fresh on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Coleman go! (Or should it be "Go, Coleman, go?") Either way, I'm very glad you were able to use the semicolon wisely. I'm sure that your newly acquired grammar mastery will be a vital tool to assist you to victory in your public relation pursuits. And whatever you do, avoid phrases with "whomever" at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's absolutely crazy how much more confident you can feel about yourself simply because you took notes using correct grammar principles, or because you were able to draft an email that you knew was grammatically sound. Congratulations on being able to use these lessons in your every day life!

    ReplyDelete